Dick Wightman's Bulletin Board

Some of the Stuff I've Put Out for TOGA




Case is a 3/4 size Model 15, most other heads are 15-88/90, some special badged



boxes of neat parts... will be sold by the whole box




dome tops and a fancy British full case




Treadle slides and an industrial frame with a table top. Box underneath contains the parts to reassemble the frame... not a treadle but a good old industrial frame




Free Brand Needle Plate Needed

Here are pix and measurements for the Free needle plate that Carol Trullard is looking for. Her machine is a Free badged "Our Special". It is not a Free #5 with parts interchangeable with the Singer 27. I suspect that Free would have used the same needle plate on numerous badge named machines/models. If you have a Free donor machine with a needle plate that matches or comes real close to the dimensions below, let me know.





For the multitudes who cannot read my writing:

Length: 2,7335"

Width: 1.243"

Diameter of Screw Hole: .173"

Diameter of Countersinking on top edge of Screwhole: ,2300"

Distance Edge of Plate to Edge of Shorter Feed Dog Slot: .0115"

Distance Edge Plate to Longer Feed Dog Slot: 1.1215"


This plate just rests in a slot, held by the countersunk screw. The edges are straight up and down. It does not have tapers to fit in a slot like slide plates do.







Finished Floating Blocks or Shadow Quilt

This is the quilt I just finished.

It started as a treadle quilt, but my foot/ankle just wasn't up to it, so 1/3 of the piecing was done on the treadle, 1/3 on a needle feed Brother and the rest on a Pfaff 134. The quilting will be done on the Pfaff 134.


Mockery is a Rokkaku kite I built nearly 20 years ago. It was very large, 12 1/2' x 7 1/2'. I found that I was no longer able to handle a kite that size, so cut the skin down to 6' x 5'. Here is a pic of the kite aloft.

This shot was telephotoed in from about 200'. The grey sky is almost like a studio backdrop!

Current Sewing and Light Woodworking Shop


Sewing Side 1

Here you see a Brother industrial needle feed machine which is specifically for handling slick kite material and for the quilting phase of making quilts. The work table/feedout is 3' x 5' and consists of 1/4" masonite over 3/4" plywood. All nylon cutting is done on the masonite by heat knife. When the masonite gets too marked up, probably about after a year, I'll unbolt it and turn it around. After both sides are gone, simply replace the masonite. I think I'm going to be able to put my 12 drawer rack of treadle drawers between the dresser and the treadle by nudging the dresser over to the left a bit.


Sewing Side 2

As you can see from the previous pic, this spot held a nice treadle. However, since my ankle/foot will no longer stand up to steady treadling, I decided to improve the overall sewing situation by locating one of my favorite big machines here after upgrading it substantiall. The machine is a 1970's Pfaff 134 straight stitch industrial. I found it in a chicken coop (!) roughly 20 years ago and used it for many years in an industrial treadle. I bought it a new stand and a DC servo motor and it is one of the smoothest sewing machines I've ever used... great for quilt piecing.

Three early vintage Singer 28 hand cranks are on top of dresser, which contains tons of sewing and quilting patterns and supplies.



Tool Side 1 - Drill Press and Tool Storage Area (Corner of incredibly messy workbench will not be shown in full :^)


Tool Side 2 - Roll around work table, table saw and lathe. Note: there is an alcove directly opposite this, behind the big Brother sewing machine, where a bandsaw and belt sander are hiding out. A drum sander and jig saw are stashed in the furnace room, so I still have a lot of woodworking capability.




Direct comments/questions to Captain Dick: rwightman@mindspring.com



Return to Home Page